Kaya is a food spread/curd or custard made from coconut milk,eggs,and sugar. It is wildly popular in Malaysia and in the malay language the word kaya means rich, hence represents the texture. To acquire perfect texture, requires patience and slow cooking under low heat is the way to go. Knowing me, the most impatient side of me, must find ways and means to achieve with the least amount of effort. I have found that making this Kaya - Rich Egg Custard is possible in the microwave and with an addition of one more ingredient, the custard now is no fail if you should follow the instruction of cooking it low and slow
I have added a little STARCH to the recipe and it helps to prevent the eggs from overcooking and gives more lead way to the success of the egg rich mixture. The starch molecules slow protein coagulation, making the egg proteins more resistant to curdling..
- 5 eggs (280 gm)
- 280 gm sugar
- 200 ml thick coconut milk
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp of powdered vanillin
- 1 tsp cornstarch/potato starch/tapioca starch
- Stir and whip all ingredients except vanillin in a glass bowl to break up the eggs. Strain mixture.
- Microwave uncovered for 5 mins on level 4(i am using 1000 watts) and then stir. Repeat again 5 mins on level 4, by now the mixture will be thicker.
- Continue to Microwave for 3 mins on level 3, remove from microwave and stir. the custard should be thicken by now.
- This time, cover with cling wrap and leave an opening for steam, microwave on the level 2 for 5 mins.
- Remove wrap and stir adding in the vanillin and let it cool